Tuesday, January 15, 2013

30 in 30 Days, Day 14

Long, long ago when I started college, if you'd asked me if I was an artist, I'd have told you, "No, but I like to draw."  One of my first college professors made me learn to used colored pencils (I wasn't as liberal into branching out into new media back then).  The result was a tribute to MC Escher.

Now, as I've mentioned before, in the years since making it, I've noticed that it looks like it could be two wedding bands with my husband and my Chinese zodiac animals swirling around them.  But that hadn't been the original intent.  And back then, I didn't know about taking care of your art.  (Yup.  I was one of -those- people, and folded that drawing in half right up the middle.)

So after I found that old drawing we put it up in the living room.  Right above the tv.  And I've seen it every day for the last two years...

And that fold line and those two lopsided circles started irritating me about a year ago.

All of this to say that tonight's 30 in 30 days painting challenge was an experiment in combining an old idea with my current technique to see what would happen.

And here is the result:

'Always'. 6.5" x 9.8" Acrylic on dictionary page.
Prints and other merchandise available for purchase at  http://society6.com/JaninWise/Always-5ND_Print
It's less than 1/2 the size of the original drawing and twice as detailed.

I like it...but I suspect at some point I'm still just going to redraw the original (;

2 comments:

  1. I love it. It invokes infinity symbolism in so many ways. Great color and pettern choices, too.

    Can't believe I've done half the paintings for the month already!

    ReplyDelete

I'd love to hear your thoughts!