Thursday, January 3, 2013

30 in 30 Days, Day 2 "Goddess Snake"

Whew!

Made it!  I wasn't sure I was going to get day 2 done today (;  Fortunately, the challenge is much more flexible than that, and there wouldn't be an issue if I hadn't.  But it gives me a sense of accomplishment to get to say I did.  I made it!

Last night, I decided that since 2013 is the year of the snake, today, I was going to experiment with a snake.

If you've read any of my previous blogs, you'd realize I have a bit of a thing about snakes.  We'll tentatively call it a love-hate.

Today, it's more of a love (;

"Goddess Snake" by Janin Wise.  Acrylic on Dictionary page.
Prints and other merchandise available for purchase at http://society6.com/JaninWise/Goddess-Snake_Print

One of my favorite parts was that as I was working on it, my 10 year old walked in, looked over my shoulder, "Oooo!"ed, and asked if I was making a goddess snake.

With a grin, I asked, "What makes a goddess snake?"  And he said, "They're the ruler of all the other snakes-- the most beautiful, the most powerful, the most intelligent.  A goddess snake is kind and gentle and really, really beautiful."   (:  He made my day!

Today's painting was an experiment as well.

I put it on an old dictionary page (That snake is all sorts of wound around words related to snakes!)

Then I decided that except for the outside shape of my things, I wasn't going to draw in any of the internal details in advance.  I'd just paint and see where they took me.


As I was working, I started to worry that it was going to be -too- busy and you wouldn't be able to tell it was a snake when I was done with it.

So while I was thinking, I took a break and filled in the first flower.  I was surprised by how much the paper sucked up the colors.  I think I'll leave the rest of this particular book for drawing.

The finished piece.  9 3/4" x 6" acrylic on dictionary page.  "Goddess Snake"
And Happy Chinese New Year (a month in advance) (;

No comments:

Post a Comment

I'd love to hear your thoughts!