Thursday, January 10, 2013

30 in 30 Days- Day 9

For today's 30 in 30 Days painting, I decided I wanted a dragon.
But I'm still not ready to leave real critters.  So...

I made a sea dragon (:

'Dragon of the Sea'. 6.5" x 9.8" Acrylic on dictionary page.
Prints and other merchandise available for purchase at http://society6.com/JaninWise/Dragon-of-the-Sea

When my oldest was a year and a half old, we saw our very first sea dragon at the Pittsburgh Aquarium.  They're impossibly delicate, extremely fascinating and it would be easy to spend hours watching them dance and float through the water.

They're also so intricate and involved all by themselves, I decided not to pair it with anything else in today's painting.  I love the feral look in its eye, but I might play with its colors in photoshop to see if other colors would have suited it better.

...Okay, so I've played with it and come up with these:




Which of the 5 colors do you prefer?

2 comments:

  1. Green, I think. I love these little critters... maybe I need to add them to my list of things to paint :)

    They had a whole seahorse exhibit for a while at Tennessee Aquarium in Chattanooga, and they had them in the right kind of habitat where they almost disappeared against the seaweed -- have you been there? If not I think it wouldn't be too awful a drive for you and it's definitely worth going.

    I also think it's really cool how you pick a dictionary page to go with what you're painting!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That sounds fantastic! We haven't been back to a good Aquarium since, and my boys are old enough now they'd really enjoy it. Hee hee hee-- I love that you noticed I specifically choose a page to go along (: I realized two days ago I have a practically unlimited supply of options as there are over 1700 pages in this dictionary alone!

    ReplyDelete

I'd love to hear your thoughts!