Wednesday, January 23, 2013

Coqui

For Day 21's 30 Paintings in 30 Days, I decided I wanted to do a tree frog.

'Coqui'. 8.5" x 12" Acrylic on Sheet Music.
Prints and other merchandise available for purchase at http://society6.com/JaninWise/Coqui-HSj

As I began working on it, I kept thinking of Dora.  Yes, you're thinking of the right one:  Dora the Explorer.  And the episode where she was helping a tree frog with a sore throat get home and get better so he could sing.  His name was Coqui.  And he sang a song:

*Warning!  If you actually listen to this song, you will completely understand why it was in my head while I doing this painting!  You've been warned.*


But the frog in my picture isn't actually a coqui.  It's based on a South American poison dart frog.  Which reminds me that part of how I've been experimenting is basing -all- of my creatures in my 30 in 30 days paintings on real animals.  Even the mythical ones are based on real critters. (:

No comments:

Post a Comment

I'd love to hear your thoughts!