Thursday, January 31, 2013

One Billion Rising: A Daily Artist Challenge Day 1

The new day is less than 30 minutes away, and I want to make sure that you're going to be able to share your fantastic art here, so I'm going to have the page up before I have my art ready today!

UPDATE:  Here's today's piece!

'The Flamenco of Kali Sara'.  9" x 12" Acrylic and Sepia Pen and Ink on Watercolor Paper.
Available for purchase as prints and other merchandise at http://society6.com/JaninWise/The-Flamenco-of-Kali-Sara
Did you know that if you water it down, acrylic works just like watercolor?  Neither did I (:  But I thought it was certainly worth an experiment.  And I love the results!  For my personal challenge, I've decided to celebrate the world's cultures through dance and the feminine aspects of world religions.  And so, for the first day, I've chosen to celebrate Kali Sara of the Romany.

Kali Sara is located in France where many Romani make a pilgrimage to see her in late May.  She is the Protectoress, bringer of luck and fertility, and curer of sickness.  And as such, I thought she was absolutely perfect to begin the One Billion Rising challenge as we work towards curing the sickness that is violence against women.

That said, I am -so- excited to be starting the One Billion Rising Daily Artist challenge!

If you missed the first post, check it out because the premise is simple:

Every day, from now until V-Day, CREATE! (:  It doesn't matter what your medium is-- poetry, food, logos, legos, traditional medium-- what ever calls to -you-.  Create a piece that embraces the beauty of dance and femininity with respect, hope and love in your intentions.

Then share your art with the world to help bring awareness to One Billion Rising and our world wide goal of ending violence against women.  Share it in your blog.  Share it on facebook.  Twitter it.  Share it to the facebook event.  Share it here.  (Did I mention 'Share It'?)  (;

And enjoy the process!  There aren't any hard and fast rules.  You don't have to finish a piece every day.  It's the intentions that matter most.  Say that we're four days in and you're just now learning about this challenge-- No worries!  You are welcome to join as we continue to count down to V-Day and join the world to Strike, Dance and Rise!

Here's an absolutely beautiful flamenco performance.








2 comments:

  1. I love your idea for the theme... kind of similar to what I want to do with it. Thanks for inviting me to participate :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you so much for joining me in this challenge, Deanna! (: I love that you're exploring femininity, and what it means to me to be a woman, and what it means to be a woman in the world in 2013.

    ReplyDelete

I'd love to hear your thoughts!