Wednesday, January 23, 2013

Open Faced Italian Sloppy Joes

There's nothing more dangerously creative in our house than a tired Janin...and tired Janin was apparently seriously missing garlic. The result is open faced Italian sloppy joes. We got lucky because they are epically yummy (:

I started by browning ground beef with salt, too much pepper, a thin coat of onion powder, a thick coat of garlic powder, and a brief dash of paprika.  Once it was browned, I added a can of tomato soup with 1/2 a can of water, about 3 tablespoons of brown sugar, a small can of sliced mushrooms, parsley and almost 4 tablespoons of fresh minced garlic.  (I -did- mention I was missing garlic, right?)  While that simmered, I preheated the oven to 450 and buttered 6 slices of oatmeal bread, then sprinkled them with garlic salt (remember?  craving garlic here!), paprika and parsley and baked them on an oven sheet for 10 minutes.  Then I served the sauce over the toast. And viola:  open faced Italian sloppy joes!

No comments:

Post a Comment

I'd love to hear your thoughts!