Sunday, January 27, 2013

Sigh. Now accepting my nomination to "Nailed It"

So I found this easy looking recipe for mini bacon egg cups on Pinterest.  The instructions were SO simple:
"Simply wrap your muffin tins with bacon, fill with seasoned whipped eggs (and maybe some cheese?), and bake at 350* for 30-35 minutes."

Step 1:  Check.
Step 2:  Check. 
 I even figured I was pretty clever doing so in a measuring cup so they'd be easy to pour.  And by the way, I ended up using 15 eggs to fill 12 muffin cups.
 Step 3:  Yup.

Briefly, as I put it in the oven, I thought, "Hmmm...I wonder about the bacon grease" but I also thought, "It must not be an issue-- it wasn't mentioned."

....I really should listen to my gut instincts more often.

20 minutes later, my house begins to fill with the smell of oven cooking grease directly.  I open the door to see this:

my muffin pan with a 1/4 inch of grease floating on the top--and overflow just dripping off the side, spattering on the bottom, sizzling and releasing brief icky little curls of smoke.  I quickly put a cookie sheet underneath to prevent a grease fire.

15 minutes later, I tipped the muffin pan to drain some of the grease directly to the cookie sheet before taking it out.

Boy are they NOT pretty!  Sadly, I "Nailed It"!

The goal.
My results.   Sigh. 

At least they tasted good.


That bodes well for trying the recipe again in the future.

 So what I learned is:

1.  Overfilled the egg cups-- Next time, I'll follow the rule of cupcakes-- 2/3 is plenty "full".  And that means it's probably a 1 egg to 1 muffin cup ratio.

2. It didn't really cook the bacon enough.  Next time, I think I'll bake the bacon without the eggs for 10 to 15 minutes -before- adding the eggs....and probably drain a bit of of the resulting grease first.

...and I'll probably try it with the suggested cheese (;

2 comments:

  1. I'm going to try this. I think I'll put a little horseradish in the egg mixture, too. Graidhne

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That sounds delicious! Let me know how it turns out (:

      Delete

I'd love to hear your thoughts!