Thursday, February 14, 2013

I Am One In a Billion Rising, One Billion Rising: A Daily Artist Challenge, Day 14

Today, I chose to do a self portrait of me dancing.

'I Am One In A Billion Rising'.  9" x 12" Acrylic and Sepia Pen and Ink on Watercolor Paper.
Prints and other merchandise available for purchase here.



Today, we Rise! Dance! and Strike!


I also wrote a poem in honor of today's V-Day Rising.


When I read the facts, when I look at the statistics, it makes me cry.
Why does it have to be personal?
Why can I not just say that I am a woman, and that be enough of an answer?
Do I have to say that I am a mother?
Do I have to share that I have been pregnant three times…and only have two children?
Would it matter how that happened?  That I woke up in a pool of blood on the bathroom floor?  And that in that moment, I didn’t care about me but the for the life that was supposed to be inside me…that may never have been inside me…that was no longer inside of me?
Can I talk about miscarriage and abortion in one breath and make it clear that they are, in fact, NOT one and the same thing?
Does it matter?
Why does it have to be personal?
Why can I not just say that I am a woman, and that be enough of an answer?
Do I have to say that I have been coerced into sex that I didn’t want?
Do I have to share that it has happened more than once?
Would it matter how it happened?  That I grew up in a society where certain things are culturally ‘owed’ if other conditions like paying for a date are met?  And in that moment, saying ‘no’ just meant asking again?  That saying ‘no’ was just part of the negotiations?  That saying ‘no’ doesn’t really mean NO, …right?
Can I talk about rape, and coercion, and sexual harassment and “Hey Baby that Ass is FINE” in one breath and make it clear that they are, in fact, all shades of grey, all levels, of the same thing?
Does it matter?
Why does it have to be personal?
Because it does matter.  
And it is personal. 
Because I am a woman.
And that is more than enough of an answer.







No comments:

Post a Comment

I'd love to hear your thoughts!