Sunday, February 10, 2013

Model U. N.



My nephew is in the local model United Nations at his school.  At the end of this week, they'll be headed up to Troy University for competitions given presentations on the nations they've been studying.  Part of the requirement is dressing in the clothing of that nation.  So my mother-in-law asked me to make his costume.

He's representing Kazakhstan.  And this is the picture we were given as a model:



I found a great hat pattern at that was easy to modify for my needs at http://www.strangelove.net/~kieser/Russia/easybreezy.html

And used a quick and easy bathrobe pattern as my base for the robe.

Here's the final results after 8 hours of continuous sewing today:



To create the trim, we purchased a length of flat cording that I cut up the center (because it was otherwise too wide) to trim the sleeves, around the length of the collar and the upper brim of the hat.  For the more decorative trim with the gold designs, we purchased a yard of fabric in that pattern and I cut it to capture the pieces/ shapes that I wanted.  I was really pleased with the way it turned out curving over his shoulders.  Trimming it to give the ease also gave it a great shape and pattern.  I was really pleased with the way the whole thing turned out--and most importantly, -he- likes it (:

I hope he has a fantastic time at his event!

2 comments:

I'd love to hear your thoughts!