Saturday, February 9, 2013

One Billion Rising: A Daily Artist Challenge Day 9

When I was about 6 years old, I remember my Grandma Carole taking us to see the Nutcracker Ballet.  I was completely enchanted!  My two favorite parts were the dance of the Sugarplum Fairy, and the dance of the peacock.

When I was 9, I got to take ballet and as our final performance, we did the Nutcracker.  I was so excited to be a snowflake!  It's almost 30 years later and I -still- remember the routine (:  I also remember the after party where we all got to go to the instructor's home and she let me hold her pointe shoes.  I couldn't believe how hard they were!

And when I started college, I saw the annual Natchitoches Christmas Gala, and part of it comes from The Nutcracker.  That first year, I was in another section where I was a Christmas elf gone bad-- but don't worry, but the end, we'd gotten the spirit of Christmas back.  The next year, I got to perform my favorite piece from seeing it the year before-- as the maid that crosses the darkened stage with a candle before we get to see the beautiful Christmas tree.  I was SO excited!!  I even got to be one of the mice!

Now that my boys are older, I'm looking forward to taking them to see their first performance of the Nutcracker.  I hope to share with them the magic, the excitement, the enchantment, and the joy.

If you haven't already guessed, today's One Billion Rising piece was inspired by ballet. (;

'Ballet'. 9" x 12" Acrylic and Sepia Pen and Ink on Watercolor Paper.
Prints and other merchadise available for purchase at http://society6.com/JaninWise/Ballet-Z7O

And here's a fantastic performance of the Dance of the Sugar Plum Fairy:


If you're just now finding this challenge, you're always welcome to join!  We still have five days as we're counting down to One Billion Rising's V-Day rising!


No comments:

Post a Comment

I'd love to hear your thoughts!