Tuesday, February 12, 2013

Raq On, One Billion Rising: A Daily Artist Challenge, Day 11

About the time that I was expecting my oldest son, my husband and I discovered a new hobby in the SCA.  Other than setting my research nerd loose in a candy store of information, I also discovered that I have a passion for middle eastern dance and drumming.

Day eleven's One Billion Rising tribute is a celebration of the many forms and styles that are encompassed by what most people call 'belly dancing'.  This particular aspect is part of American Tribal.  I've been celebrating the dances of the world and as we get closer to V-Day on February 14th, I wanted to bring it closer to home and make it more personal.

'Raq On'.  9" x 12" Acrylic and Sepia Pen and Ink on Watercolor Paper.
Prints and other merchandise available for purchase at http://society6.com/JaninWise/Raq-On
The title is a reference to Raq sharqi, the classical Egyptian oriental dance that developed in the first half of the 20th century.  It plays with the fact that in English, 'raq' sounds like 'rock'.

And for today's dancing, I'm sharing another form of the same genre.  This is my extremely talented friend Jadi Fatima performing a traditional Persian oriental dance.




No comments:

Post a Comment

I'd love to hear your thoughts!