Saturday, February 9, 2013

Uzume's Shibu, One Billion Rising: A Daily Artist Challenge, Day 8

So I woke up early yesterday morning and thought I was ready for day 8's One Billion Rising artwork.  I knew that I wanted to celebrate Uzume, Japan's Goddess of laughter, music and dance.  I knew I wanted to celebrate the beauty that is fan dancing.  But as I began researching color symbolism, I came across kimono symbolism and WOW!!  I was NOT ready to begin!

I'm sure it doesn't look like it, but each day's painting begins with over three hours of research.  I want to make sure that I'm choosing colors and dances and images that attempt to embrace the feeling of the dance and culture they represent.

And this particular piece needed many more hours of studying sleeve length, and collar placement and a lot of other things that mean I didn't actually create Day 8's art until Day 9.  Fortunately for me, this challenge is loose and the freedom of the rules get to apply to me as well! (:

'Uzume's Shibu'.  9" x 12" Acrylic and Sepia Pen and Ink on Watercolor Paper.
Prints and other merchandise available for purchase at http://society6.com/JaninWise/Uzumes-Shibu

I was also given a beautiful gift by my friend Renee, yesterday!  She posted to my facebook page:

Janin, I have to share this with you. My granddaughter was spending some time with me today and when I came back to the computer just to check a few things, she told be she wanted to look at pictures. So, I started showing her the pics of the art on the "One Billion Rising: A Daily Artist Challenge" page you started, that led to me showing her your recent series of dancers (she really likes them). I asked her if she would like to see the actually dances represented, she said yes, so we hit Youtube. We watched videos of the "Indian" dances (she liked the barefoot aspect of those), then the flamenco dancers (not her favorite, too loud), moved on to Irish step dancers (thought they were okay). But her favorites were the sleeve dancers. She really liked those. We did not get through the whole set, as my daughter and other granddaughter joined us and we reran some of the favorites we had come across in our video searches.  All in all, a good cultural learning experience and quality time together inspired by your art :)

I was grinning so big!!  I even did a happy Janin dance (:  And I had to respond (confess) that on my blog, for each day, I add a video to the dance or music represented, and part of why I do is the hope that it will inspire someone to do -exactly- what they were doing!

And so here is today's Youtube share:


I'm also going to share this one because it is an absolutely -beautiful- dance, BUT!!!  Be warned!! If you are watching this with children, stop at 3:20!!  Kalani Kokonuts is a burlesque dancer and will not remain in her kimono very long after that point... which, now that I think about it, is actually very appropriate for the Goddess Uzume....





No comments:

Post a Comment

I'd love to hear your thoughts!