Thursday, May 2, 2013

No One Ever Expects the Kraken: An Indepth Remix

If you've read through any of my dream or humor posts, you're probably aware that I tend to be quirky.  *snort* At least I entertain me (;

But you may not know that this shows up in my artwork as well!

Today, I'm going to tell you about "No One Ever Expects the Kraken".

Click here to purchase the original.

Prints and other merchandise available here.

The original inspiration for this piece came from a friend's facebook status, where he was lamenting calling Sears Eye Care and being put on hold for seven minutes before being hung up on.

When I read it, I was in one of my quirky moods (I tend to warn people when I'm in one because pretty much -anything- is going to strike me as funny) and I responded,  "So on the one hand, I want to be all sympathetic and 'aww'...on the other, your response makes me want to laugh because I suddenly envision funny reasons =why= she couldn't get back to the phone.  The most hysterical involves donning a cape and fighting off unexpected kraken.  No on ever expects the kraken."

And the very next day, I started this piece (:

Now clearly, my mood hadn't passed, because I chose "Old Cape Cod" as the background for my horror story in motion.

You know nothing says, "Let's get eaten by monsters!" like a song about enjoying quaint little seaside villages and falling in love with the cape.  When I got to the part about eating lobster stew, I giggled as I envisioned those aboard my imaginary ship becoming cape delicacies themselves.

Since I've been doing these pieces on sheet music and dictionary page, people occasionally ask how I'm doing them, so I figured I'd answer that here:

I start by free hand drawing the outer edges of my shapes.  And then I free hand paint in all the details.   I can't help it.  I -adore- detail!  There's something relaxing and freeing about concentrating on each spiral as the tentacles begin to take shape.  Though I do have to admit, after the first four hours of painting this one, I had to step away for a break because my eyes were crossing.

I half-heartedly ranted at my husband, "Why don't you stop me before I start these crazy detailed kinds of things?!?"  And he laughed, gave me a hug and said, "Honey, I couldn't stop you if I -tried-."

Well.. he does have a point (;

In case you were wondering, I have two favorite brushes.  One is size 0 and the other is 5/0 and both are angle spotters, and yes, I do the vast majority of my painting with one or the other of these.

As to paint  I adore using acrylic.  It dries faster than oil and has more control than watercolor (unless you really, REALLY thin it, in which case it works -exactly- like watercolor).  My preferred brand is Atelier Interactive Acrylics.

And in the end, I always love how taking the time to put in those details turns out.

This is my favorite painting that is still for sale.

If you would like to purchase the original, you can purchase it here.

Or you can purchase prints, framed prints, totes, iphone cases, and more here.

Or if you'd like to commission your own piece, you can contact me here (:

No comments:

Post a Comment

I'd love to hear your thoughts!