Sunday, May 5, 2013

The Various 2D Styles of Janin Wise (me) (;


Today's 30 in 30 challenge by Leslie Saeta was to create a collage of several of our pieces.

Lately, I've been focusing on the henna-esque on dictionary pages and sheet music, but I wanted to show that I actually have a wide variety of styles.

If you're curious, here are the individual pieces.

Upper left:  I am One In a Billion.  A self portrait drawn in sepia ink over an acrylic wash.

Queen of Clubs.  One of the eight designs I created for my business cards, this one is paired with my absolute favorite quote (and unofficial personal motto):  "Be Humble for you are made of earth, Be Noble for you are made of stars."

The Raven and the Serpent.  It's my nuclear steampunk tribute to the classic Aesop's fable.

Carrier of Hope.  This was my -free- commission give away to my 350 likes winner on my facebook page.  Have I mentioned I plan to do it again when the page hits 700?  (hint, hint. wink, wink, nudge.) (;

A Feminine Touch. Handmade/ hand embroidered prayer rug.  It was part of my first series on display with my collaborative studio class at the Malone Gallery.

Still Life with Drum and Wine Glass. This was my very first (and so far only) still life.

Chimera: The Heroines of Grimm: The Twelve Brothers/ The Six Swans. This is a close up of one of the pieces I completed for Senior Thesis.  If you follow the link, you can actually see progress pictures and watch the piece emerge.

Having a Glass of Wine with Mucha.  This is another self portrait where I inserted myself into an art work by one of my favorite artists.

If Klimt Painted Otters.  A tribute to another of my favorite artists.

Jumpin' Jack Flash.  Every now and then, my sense of humor shows up in my titles.  This hare is clearly not amused (;

Landscape, a Discussion with Escher.  If you're not paying attention, you may have missed that my boys are in the fig tree.  Escher is above and beyond my favorite artist.  Which is ironic, since he didn't consider himself an artist.

Mother Earth.  For me, the most ironic thing about this drawing is that it was a quick sketch to give me an idea for a shadow and light sculpture I made called, "Two Mothers".  But because it was made entirely out of fresh natural ingredients, the sculpture lasted a single weekend, while the drawing can go on indefinitely.  Though I have to admit I love creating silhouettes.

Chimerea: The Heroines of Grimm: The Princess In Disguise.    This is a close up on the other piece that I completed for Senior Thesis.

All in all, I think it's a pretty good representation of my 2 dimensional styles (:

You can view more of my work here.

You can find out how to place a commission for an original piece here.

And you can find prints and other merchandise here.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I'd love to hear your thoughts!