Sunday, January 19, 2014

Bacon Wrapped Scotch Eggs and Celtic Knot Turtles

So I was getting ready to make lunch before starting on my fourth pay it forward.  I asked if anyone wanted fried egg sandwiches and my husband said, "You know what I'd really like to try?...  Scotch Eggs!"

(Not that I want to give him the impression that I love him or anything, but) My husband doesn't make requests very often.  So I got the eggs boiling for making hard boiled eggs.  Let it reach a good roiling boil, covered them and turned the burner off.  He'd mentioned reading about one that was bacon wrapped with sausage.  We had the bacon, but alas, no sausage.  So off the the grocery store I went.  Came home with maple sausage in it's plastic tube.

They turned out so well, I figured I'd share this ridiculously easy recipe.

Bacon Wrapped Scotch Eggs

6 eggs, hardboiled and peeled
1 package of maple sausage, raw.  Divide into 6ths.
6 slices of bacon (we prefer the applewood smoked)

So clearly, you boil the eggs (We do the cover with water, put the lid on top, when it reaches a roiling boil, turn the burner offer and let it sit for 20 minutes-- the yolks don't turn green this way but are still thoroughly cooked.)  Preheat the oven to 350.  

After you peel the eggs, set them aside on a broiler pan.  Take each 6th of your sausage and flatten it into a a thin patty.  Place an egg on each one and basically form a sausage meatball around the egg.  Take a slice of bacon and 'lengthen' it-- just pinch it between your fingers going from one end to the other.  It'll basically double in length.  Then wrap it around your egg filled breakfast meatball.  Place them last seam of the bacon side down so it won't curl.

Bake for 30 minutes, broil for the last 5.  Make sure your sausage and bacon are thoroughly cooked and the broiling will make your bacon deliciously crispy.

Ta-da!

Now I was all ready to start on my next Pay It Forward project.  This one is for my SCAdian friend Ashley.  Her persona leans towards the Gaelic and last summer, she was looking for a Celtic knotwork turtle necklace.

She's a tremendous fan of turtles.  So although knot work drives me a bit nutty, I decided that for her, I would make her her very own Celtic knotwork turtle.

"Celtic Knotwork Turtle".  9" x 12".  Prisma color and Acrylic on watercolor paper.

Prints and other merchandise available here.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I'd love to hear your thoughts!