Monday, April 7, 2014

Fate, Miracles and Dancing Beans



This post was inspired by the novel  The Opposite of Maybe by Maddie Dawson. At the age of 44, Rosie finds herself suddenly single and pregnant. She tries to hide in her grandmother’s home, but meets two men that will change her life forever. Join From Left to Write on April 8 we discuss The Opposite of Maybe. As a member, I received a copy of the book for review purposes.

The thing I loved most about this book was the serendipity of reading it around the birthday of my oldest son.  When I was pregnant with him, we also called him our bean.  But he was our dancing bean.

I still remember finding out I was pregnant for the first time and my husband and I were both nervous and excited.  The first time we heard his heartbeat on the monitor it was like magic—we were creating a new life between us and it had taken root deep inside of me.

And then there was the day we went in for the first ultrasound and there he was!  Our little dancing bean up on the monitor celebrating the movement of the cosmos in his own universe contained within my belly.  I looked to my husband and he look to me and reflected in his eyes I saw the joy and wonder I knew were within my own.  We had touched on one of those moments that echo throughout time.  A moment of “I will always remember.”  And we have.

It’s amazing to look back and know that my boy, who’s feet are now 2 sizes bigger than mine, was once ever that small.  I’m still half an inch taller, but just barely and I know the time is fast approaching when my bean will be bigger than I.

But not yet.

He began as a miracle of life and a magic moment between my love and I and we have been blessed to watch him grow and turn into the intelligent, capable, loving young man that he is becoming every day.

The other serendipitous moment is that she could pin point exactly when she conceived.  I have that date marked clearly in my mind.  A hot summer day and a touch of morning loving before my beloved headed off to work….followed by an emergency phone call not thirty minutes later.

My husband had just been in a car accident trying NOT to hit someone going downhill who was coming to a sudden stop and had no working back lights.  He dodged off to the right, going down an embankment and hitting a large rock like a ramp that sent him spinning exactly like the video games indicate it would.  He had just a moment to marvel at that wonder before his truck slammed into a tree by someone’s house and landed on the roof.  At that point, he blacked out.

Thankfully, no one was seriously hurt, though my husband pulled a bit of glass from his scalp a full week later that had been missed.  Another miracle?  We had gotten cell phones not three days prior at the prompting of my coworkers at SEARS.  I have always been thankful for their gut instincts on this one.

That day, my husband and I got our first real marriage scare and a reminder in the value of life—and were rewarded with an unexpected (but not fully unplanned for) miracle.  My point is that things don’t always go the way we thought they would...but even so, the moments are incredible and the ride well worth it.

6 comments:

  1. Wow! I;m glad your hubby was OK. I can pinpoint the day of my second child, but not my first. Funny how you can read your body so much better the second time. I also knew immediately that I was preggo, unlike Rosie.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mel, the funny part with my second is that I knew I was pregnant within a week from the day, but I don't remember the day. But after that I was very much aware my pregnancy and couldn't wait to meet him (:

      Delete
  2. Wow, Janin! This was such a moving post, and I love your story. So scary about your husband's accident the day of your son's conception--indeed a reminder of the value of life! So glad you liked the book and took the time to post about it. And congratulations on your "dancing bean" who is now a wonderful young man! And thank you for sharing this.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I very much enjoyed it, Maddie! And just ordered a paper back copy of your other book as well (:

      Delete
  3. Nothing compares to that first peek into what is happening inside, what a treasure for you after a scare!

    ReplyDelete

I'd love to hear your thoughts!