Wednesday, April 9, 2014

The Gift of Work

I don't talk much about my day job (as any reference outside of "my day job") not because I don't love it or because I plan on leaving it any time soon, but because during the day, 5 days a week, I'm a military move coordinator.  So I guess I could say I'm a military move coordinator by day, a mother at night, and an artist/ SCAdian/ crafter on the weekends... but that's a mouthful!

For six months (ish) through fall and winter, my day job is pretty slow.  I still remember the first time in September when I reached a moment in the afternoon when...I...didn't...have...=anything=...left to do.  I didn't know what to do with myself!  It lasted all of ten minutes before there was something to do, but still, I hadn't realized it wasn't always going to be busy.

That's because I started my job almost a year ago and had a month to learn it before we were into the full swing of things.  And once we were, I didn't have time to read or do anything during the day outside of work and taking care of my family.

So we've been waiting for THE SEASON to start.  And it officially started today, with a bang!  Last year, we would get 20-50 awards per day for a couple of months.  Today, the floodgates opened on THE SEASON and we were blessed with the gift of work: 108!!

Last year, my days could be between 10 and 14 hours long.  But in the last year, I've made changes and (what I believe will prove to be) improvements that should speed my process up.  But I've had to wait for the season to start to test it!

Today, I had a normal work day length (:  (Don't get me wrong, it was -constant- motion almost all day long!...but that was true of last year as well.)  We shall see if this holds true again in the days and weeks to come, but I'll certainly get the test I've been waiting for.

All of this to say that I'll have to divvy my weekends up even further to keep up with my goal of two new pieces of art every week.    But it's a goal I intend to keep (:



No comments:

Post a Comment

I'd love to hear your thoughts!