Monday, August 29, 2016

Shortcut to Goblin City: A Fan Review



On Saturday, my guys took me to Shortcut to Goblin City, the member's appreciation night at the Atlanta Center for Puppetry Arts as an early birthday present, because I'm a huge The Labyrinth fan.

They gave us gift bags to make our own paper owl puppets, but we were so busy exploring the exhibits before the movie, we still haven't assembled them.  And then we entered the exhibit.


You can tell, even as you stand outside the main exhibit that this is going to be something special.  Something more.  And that it's about the work of two of my favorite artists-- Jim Henson and Brian Froud and their collaboration on The Labyrinth, was extra icing on the cake.


Walking in was like entering the actual labyrinth!  I stopped in the doorway, squeaking in excitement and practically bouncing.  Another fan who had just passed through the exhibit was right there and grinned so big at me, looking at her companion, nodding, and saying that she too had done the exact same thing when she entered.

I'm not going to share all of the pictures, nor even most of them (as I took almost 300), because I really do believe this is something you need to experience in person.  But I'm going to give you a taste of some of my favorite moments:



But there's so much MORE going on at the Center for Puppetry Arts!

To be honest, it was like walking into the worlds of my childhood (:

From The Dark Crystal:


And the Fraggles:


 To Sesame Street:



After exploring the exhibits, they put on a screen showing of the movie!  It didn't come to our local theatres when I was a kid, so this was the first time I'd ever seen it on the big screen, and to get to view it with other absolute fans was an beyond magical.  The entire experience is something I will truly treasure, and it's by far the best birthday present I've ever had.

If you're in the Atlanta area, definitely make a point to visit them.

The Labyrinth exhibit will only be on display for about a year, so this time 2017, you'll have missed the opportunity!

And that would not be fair (;

No comments:

Post a Comment

I'd love to hear your thoughts!