Saturday, September 10, 2016

30 Paintings in 30 Days Challenge: September 2016, Day 10: "Leaves on the World Tree: Berber Argan" Study


Day 10!  Woohoo! I'm 1/3 of the way through the challenge!

Yesterday, I had a lot of people asking about a collage of the first 9 pieces, so I went ahead and did a quick one:


It's a bit boggling to me how different all the rainbows are!  On day 6, I wondered if day 7 meant I would just start recycling my rainbows or if I was going to run into a limit on them-- but I honestly don't think I could.  Even if I repeat the same kind of pattern-- it has entirely different results, and I find that I'm enjoying that.  That the backgrounds are as unique as the pieces on top of them.

Today's rainbow is another one that called for adding pink.  So I did.



Then I was ready to add the Argan tree and nuts.  Have you ever seen one of those pictures with a goat up in a tree?  There's a high probability that it was an Argan tree!

Like two of the trees before, this one is endangered, but this one is under the protection of UNESCO and declared a biosphere preserve because it's the only place in the world that they will grow and produce the nuts. Argan oil is the most expensive edible oil in the world, and also one of the rarest oils in the world -and that distinction is actually helping to save the trees.

The nuts are being harvested and the extremely hard shells have to be crushed and manipulated by hand (automatic attempts tend to destroy the kernel inside the shell).  The trees can live up to 450 years.  And argan harvesting is largely done by Berber women cooperatives with the profits divided amongst them.

This is the first truly thorny tree in my world tree series.  And I only concentrated my use of seven on the nuts.  There are twelve thorns, one for each month of the year, and the full cycle of experience.

The tenth leaf on my world tree is the Berber Argan.

"Leaves on the World Tree: Berber Argan" Study
by Janin Wise
3" x 3" acrylic on minicanvas

PURCHASE PRINTS AND OTHER MERCHANDISE HERE

No comments:

Post a Comment

I'd love to hear your thoughts!