Thursday, September 22, 2016

30 Paintings in 30 Days Challenge: September 2016, Day 15: "Leaves on the World Tree: Chuvash Tree of Life with Oak and Hops" Study



But Janin, it's Day 22!  You are most correct.  I fell behind by a week, but I'll do my darnedest to catch up on Saturday.  I spent a good portion of this morning gessoing the next batch, so even if it takes me slightly longer than 30 days, there will be 30 paintings (;

The fifteenth leaf on my world tree is the Chuvash Tree of Life, paired with 3 leaves from an oak, and a pair of hops with hops leaves (giving me 5 leaves and 2 'fruit' for a total of seven).  The Churvash tree of life is a motif that shows up in their embroidery and represents the people.  I chose leaves from an oak tree to represent the oldest oak tree in Chuvasia, that is 362 years old and a natural monument.  (Also, on a slight aside, I learned that there are over 600 kinds of Oak trees!)
And I paired it with hops because they've been producing beer for centuries and provide over 80% of the hops used in Russia.


"Leaves on the World Tree: Chuvash Tree of Life with Oak and Hops" 
by Janin Wise
3" x 3" acrylic on minicanvas


PRINTS AND OTHER MERCHANDISE AVAILABLE HERE

No comments:

Post a Comment

I'd love to hear your thoughts!