Tuesday, September 6, 2016

30 Paintings in 30 Days Challenge: September 2016, Day 6: "Leaves on the World Tree: Balochis Juniper" Study




For Day 6, the next alphabetical group is Balochis, and for them, I chose the Juniper.  Since Day 5 and Day 6 were both done today, I decided I wanted my rainbows to originate on a single side.  For this one, I wanted it to radiate up.


Like I tried with Day 5, I added salt as an experiment.


But -unlike- day 5, this time the darker colors took it.  It's not near as obvious on canvas as it is on paper, but I like the subtle popcorn of color.

And it turns out that like day 5, the Balochis Juniper is endangered.  The Zairat Juniper Forest is thought to contain trees up to 5,000 years old, and is the second largest juniper forest on earth.  Called Obashta by the locals, the trees are considered sacred, but the people are poor and would freeze to death in winter without burning branches.  That, paired with pesticides used for the apple industry has put them in danger.

To continue my use of seven, there are seven juniper berries.

So the sixth leaf on my world tree is the Balochis Juniper:

"Leaves on the Word Tree: Balochis Juniper"
by Janin Wise
3" x 3" acrylic on mini canvas

CLICK HERE TO PURCHASE PRINTS AND OTHER MERCHANDISE



1 comment:

I'd love to hear your thoughts!