Friday, September 9, 2016

30 Paintings in 30 Days Challenge: September 2016, Day 9: "Leaves on the World Tree: Bengali Mango" Study


When I was a kid, my momma was in the Army.  And sometimes this meant that I needed to stay with extended family for a couple of months at a time.  One of my Grandma Betty's favorite stories to tell was about when I was two years old and living with her and my Grandpa Ervin.  My momma had been gone for a couple of weeks, and I was particularly sad and listless.

She asked me, "Baby, what's wrong?" fully expecting me to answer that I missed and wanted my momma, but with a sigh and the brokenest heart a two year old has, I sadly replied, "I want a mango."  See, I was born in Hawaii, and it's pretty common there.  But we were in Michigan.  In the seventies.  In winter.

My Grandma Betty had no idea what a mango was, but she spent the next two weeks trying to find one for me.  I have to admit that when I started this piece, it brought a smile to my face to remember my Grandma and her stories.


Trying out swirls and salt again (:


There was salt everywhere (lol).  My husband suggested I try larger rock salt.  So I'll be getting some of that to play with as well.  Very much enjoyed the texture after I brushed it off.  As a side note, it's not as easy to brush off as you might think.

Then I drew in my rough shapes and free hand painted the leaves.


Did you know that in India there are almost 1000 different kinds of mangoes? Some of them are sweet, others are better eaten with salt or pickled.  I chose the shape of the Totapuri mango because it's shape is easy to recognize, and accented the seven fruit in the colors available for mangoes-- yellow, orange, red, redish purple, and green.  There are also seven mango leaves, continuing my focus on the number seven, representing spiritual awakening and the collective consciousness, done on a background of rainbow colors as a bridge to the world tree.

The ninth leaf on my world tree is the Bengali Mango:

"Leaves on the World Tree: Bengali Mango" Study
by Janin Wise
3" x 3" acrylic on minicanvas

CLICK HERE TO PURCHASE PRINTS AND OTHER MERCHANDISE

No comments:

Post a Comment

I'd love to hear your thoughts!