Saturday, November 19, 2016

Eighteen Leaf on the World Tree: Akan Nyame Dua


The eighteenth leaf in my world tree series is the Akan Nyame Dua, which is the both the symbol in the center (a symbol of holy presence and protection, for purification and blessing) as well as the leaves of a Ficus Capensis (fig tree), which is one of the three trees I could find as representative of Nyame Dua.

One of the hardest parts is that I'm not entirely clear if trees called Nyame Dua are actually a specific type of tree (I came across several references for this type of fig tree, as well as a single source suggesting Alstonia gongensis, and a single source suggesting date palm), or if it can be any large tree assigned as a place of communal gathering and spirituality for the community.

Like my previous pieces, the rainbow background serves as a bridge to the world tree.  I chose to use the four central pieces of the Nuame Dua symbol as part of the fruit of the tree, and added 3 figs so that are seven fruit in the leaves, representing spiritual awakening and the collective consciousness.

"Leaves on the World Tree: Akan Nyame Dua"
by Janin Wise
3" x 3" acrylic on mini canvas

Prints and Other Merchandise Available HERE



No comments:

Post a Comment

I'd love to hear your thoughts!