Friday, December 30, 2016

2016 The Year of the Fire Monkey

Right here at the end of 2016, with all it's ups and downs, I was inspired to create a tribute to the lunar zodiac that is currently active:  The fire monkey.



Personally, I've had a lot of joy and growth this year-- I completed 70 new blogs, had just under 200 dreams (that I could bring into waking with me), got my first dream journal almost half of the way edited, made 31 new pieces of art, cleaned up and updated another 20, started a new day job that helps support my art, and still had time to enjoy the periodic pleasures of a good book with a hot cup of tea, the laughter of my kids, the purring of my cats, the antics of my dogs, and the company of friends and family.

This was tempered with things going on out in the world at large.  (I'm not going to list them because I'm pretty sure you've got a list that popped up pretty easily running through your head right now, and that isn't what this post is about.)

Instead, I thought I'd share some of the process in making my last piece for 2016.

I decided on the golden headed lion tamarin and paired it with bonfire salvia.  I chose a dictionary page featuring the word 'marmoset', then drew in pencil the rough outline of the shapes I would be painting.  After that, I painted in the outline using a 5/0 brush and my Atelier acrylic paint.

After I have my outline,  I filled in my flowers and started creating my patterns.  The patterns are entirely free handed in process.







I even made a short video of me painting.  It's only the second one I've ever done, but if I continue, I'll definitely need to look into a better stand than precariously balanced on top of my brush holder (;

If you like, you can watch it here.

And the finished piece, the last piece for 2016:

"Unfettered Possibility" by Janin Wise

Because the year of the monkey doesn't end on 1/1/17.  And we still have time while we're breathing, to reach for our possibilities.

Prints and other merchandise available at my society6 store.






No comments:

Post a Comment

I'd love to hear your thoughts!